Monday, April 13, 2009

The Two Cities of My Life-- Part II

Well, Gurgaon is the second city of my life as I have started a new inning of my life (after my marriage) in this city. The first time when I was on my way to my new home in Gurgaon, I was quite reluctant and little nostalgic about leaving Bhopal. But once we crossed the Delhi-Gurgaon toll, I could not just shut my wide-open eyes. Reason was the glam-sham of this metropolitan city. Beautiful, huge buildings and all of them unlike in terms of architecture.

Gurgaon, as I know, has got drastically developed a decade back and is now known as the Industrial HUB of northern India. Many MNCs have set up their corporate offices in Gurgaon and therefore, this city is very commercial now. People from across India have shifted here and contributed in transforming this normal town into a cosmopolitan city.

As heard from one of my old friend, GE Capital was the first company to open their first BPO office in Gurgaon in 2007 and now GENPACT (after becoming a separate identity) is headquartered in Gurgaon followed by many other outsourcing co.s and behind all this development of Gurgaon, DLF Group has played a major role. DLF Square Tower, Signature Tower, DLF Trinity Towers are some of the high-rise as well as the most spectacular buildings in Gurgaon. Most of the IT parks in Gurgaon have also been constructed by DLF where employees from all over the India are at work.

Mostly, the people of Delhi/NCR who have their offices in Gurgaon travel (on road) on their own vehicle which leads to a road congestion everyday. This traffic problem has become a part of daily routine for the Gurgaonites. To come out of this predicament, the Delhi Metro Corp has decided to start a new line which will connect Gurgaon to Delhi. By 2010, it is estimated that, the Metro will be connected to Gurgaon and therefore, commuting for the entire Delhi/NCR people will get much easier.

Now coming to the main attraction of this place….. Apparently, the main attraction of Gurgaon is its MALLS. When I was new to the city, I used to call it a MALLAMALL city and actually this term is very precise. Gurgaon is considered as the unofficial MALL capital of India because of its extremely beautiful and resplendent malls. On a guessing note, there are 15-20 malls at present and numerous malls are in the pipeline. Some of the major malls where footfalls get into are AMBIENCE MALL, SAHARA MALL, MGF METROPOLITAN MALL, DLF STAR MALL, GURGAON CENTRAL, GOLD SOUK. Out of which, Ambience Mall is the biggest Mall of India so far. Shopping in Ambience Mall is an event in itself as it would require a complete day once you visit there. To outshine the Ambience Mall, DLF is coming up with a new mall which is supposedly being constructed in a huge area of 4 acres.

If the things keep going right, I assume that Gurgaon will be counted amongst the most developed and most amazing cities of the world within a decade.

No comments:

Post a Comment